Wednesday, March 5, 2014

it seems the wait is over


First off I want to THANK all of you for being faithful in praying for me over these past few months. I apologize that it has taken me so long to write this post but I have been waiting on a few things to happen so that I could update you with some concrete news. If there is one thing that I have to report it is that GOD IS SO GOOD. I know most of you are aware that I have been trying to figure out where God wants me this coming year. This past week and a half has been a rollercoaster of emotions and quite the turn of events. I have been praying for God to open a door, to hear my heart, and to place me where He wants me to be.
Last Sunday I was mentally preparing myself to schedule a meeting with the Chinchen’s (the heads of ABC) to let them know specifically that I would not be
returning to ABC as the Financial Controller. I had various reasons
for defending this statement and strongly felt that the accounts office was not where God wanted me next year. Mainly because my heart wasn't there and if I couldn’t be ministering to the children preferably in the sports realm then maybe God was calling me someplace else. I told myself Monday before I left the office I was going to schedule that appointment. However, Monday morning, Sitara (the sports mistress here/K-6 Athletic director) came into my office telling me that she had news for me and wanted to talk to me before the day was over. She and
I have been working very closely this year because, (1) she is in charge of all the sports programs and (2) she knows that I want to help in any way I
can with afternoon activities and sports. She tells me that she has put an application into Bishop Mackenzie, which is another International school here in Malawi. Her
soon to be fiancĂ© works there and she feels like God is calling her away from ABC. She also tells me that she needs to have a meeting with the Chinchen’s and asks if it is okay if she drops my name as the person she would recommend taking her position. Of course I said ABSOLUTELY
YES! So naturally I waited to schedule my meeting. I felt that she
needed to have her meeting first so that there would be a position
open for me to fill if the Chinchen’s would be willing to move me out of the office. At this point I am absolutely amazed because I was praying for
God to open a door or something and I could tell he was at work. What
kept coming to my mind was Exodus 14:14 "the Lord will fight for you; you need
only to be still." So that is what I did. Tuesday morning I went to
work hoping today would be the day that the Chinchen’s met with
Sitara. Unfortunately, their meeting was scheduled for Friday so that
meant I would need to wait another week to have my meeting, which I
really wasn’t looking forward to doing. I wanted them to know that I wouldn't be
coming back as the accountant and being the impatient person that I am, selfishly, I didn't want to have to wait that
long for an answer. Remember when I said that God is good? On Tuesday 20 minutes before I had to leave for
Upward Basketball, Laura Chinchen asked to see me in her office. Immediately my mind thinks of what have I
forgotten, or what did I do wrong here in the accounts office, etc.
Thinking I'm in trouble I head to her office and sit down. She begins
by saying "I know after our last meeting that you are a "maybe" as for
coming back next year. She says what if I told you that I have hired
another person for your position and I am aware that Sitara has put an
application in for Bishop." She goes on to explain that she thinks
this is a good time for Sitara to phase out of ABC and she and Paul
were talking the night before and think that I would be the perfect
person to fill her shoes. They both have been impressed by my
character in sticking out the office even though they know I have struggled with it this year and they have been blown away by the organization of Upward
this year as compared to last year. She asked if I would stay next year if I were given the Sports Mistress position.
Crazy right?
But wait there’s more...
The girl that I recruited to fill my position at PazNaz (First Church of the Nazarene of Pasadena), Sarah (who played
on my intramural basketball team at APU) - it looks like she might be coming out to Malawi next year as well. She is a sports gal as well and Mrs. Chinchen’s idea is that she and I would
be in charge of the organizing the sports (PE and afternoon
activities) for the younger kids (K-6). I think Sarah and I would work really
well together and it would be awesome to have two Upward guru’s here. What an answer to prayer right?
Also, a friend of mine from Azusa Pacific, Matt, I just found out is also thinking about coming out to Malawi next year. He was in my sports ministry class at APU
with Bill Wills, who is here this year. I worked at Matt’s church last summer for a week to help with their sports camp in Fullerton and he also did Uncharted Waters, the sports ministry I worked for 2 summers ago.
ABC already has some awesome people that are applying for next year and a good number of this year’s staff is staying.
I told Mrs. Chinchen that if all of these things indeed work out and Sitara's
job is available I would love to come back next year.
God isn't moving me yet, if he was then I believe that there would
have been a door shut here...not opened completely. When I look back and consider God’s provision this year I am overwhelmed with joy and gratefulness.
I mean...how can I say no, right?
I do not have all the specific details yet, but I’m sure I will be getting those soon. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me and who has been specifically praying for wisdom and direction in this decision. I truly appreciate all of you and your constant words of encouragement to me. Your emails, prayers, Facebook messages, packages, and letters do not go unnoticed.
As we say here in Malawi…
Zikomo (Thank you)
Until next time,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment